Hi Everyone, Hope your doing well. Everyday I work on Self Discipline in different areas of my life, be it exercise, eating healthier etc. Not Smoking is my toughest battle right now. It is definitely not easy, but with each passing day I feel more inner strength when I am able achieve some form of discipline be it in small or big ways. If I fail at it one day, I get up the next day and start over because I know someday the battle will be history and I will win. I love these articles by Remez Sasson, I hope they help you too for whatever you are working on in your life to better yourself.
Thank you for visiting my blog,
Self Discipline, Its Benefits and Importance
By Remez Sasson
One of the main characteristics of self-discipline is the ability to forgo instant and immediate gratification and pleasure, in favor of some greater gain or more satisfying results, even if this requires effort and time. Self discipline gives you the power to stick to your decisions and follow them through, without changing your mind, and is therefore one of the important requirements for achieving goals.
The possession of self discipline enables you to choose, and then persevere with actions, thoughts and behavior, which lead to improvement and success. It also gives you the power and inner strength to overcome addictions, procrastination and laziness and to follow through whatever you do.
This is a very useful and needed skill in everyone's life, and though most people acknowledge its importance, yet very few do anything to develop and strengthen it.
Contrary to common belief, self-discipline is not a severe and limited behavior or a restrictive lifestyle. It is a very important ingredient for success, any form of success. It expresses itself as perseverance, the ability not to give up despite failure and setbacks, as self control, and as the ability to resist temptations and distractions that tend to stand in the way of attaining aims and goals. In fact, it is one of the most important pillars of real and stable success.
This ability leads to to self confidence, self esteem and inner strength, and consequently to happiness and satisfaction. On the other hand, lack of self discipline may lead to failure, loss, health and relationships problems, obesity and to other troubles
Life often presents challenges and problems on the path to success and achievement, and in order to rise above them you have to act with perseverance and persistence, and this requires self discipline. You also can use this skill to cure and overcome eating disorders, addictions, smoking, drinking and other negative habits.
Self discipline is vital for overcoming eating disorders, addictions, smoking, drinking and other negative habits. It is also an important requirement for studying and learning, for developing any skill, and for success in self improvement, spiritual growth and meditation.
Most people acknowledge the importance and benefits of self discipline, but very few take real steps to develop and strengthen it. This ability can be strengthened and developed like any other skill, through training. Yes, you can develop self discipline with special exercises, which you can practice at any time and place.
The development of this skill will help you:
* To avoid acting on impulse.
* To continue working on a project, even after the initial rush of enthusiasm has faded away.
* To go to the gym, walk or swim, when all you want is to lie down or sit and watch TV.
* Learn to wake up and get up early.
* Overcome the habit of watching too much TV.
* To continue working on your diet, and resist the temptation of eating fattening foods.
* Start reading a book, and read it to the last page.
* To meditate regularly.
* To overcome laziness and procrastination.
* Fulfill promises you make to yourself and to others.
It will be easier for you to develop this skill if you:
* Think and realize how important it is to develop self discipline.
* Be aware of your undisciplined behavior. When this awareness increases, you will be more conscious of your behavior, and more often than not, you will seek ways to change it.
* Make a list of what you want to achieve.
* Act and behave according to the decisions you have made to change your behavior, regardless of laziness, the desire to procrastinate or the desire give up and stop what you are doing. In other words don't give up, keep at it!!