2009-02-12

Formal Peaceful Walking Meditation


Hi Everyone,
I hope you are all doing well, I am doing good. My son is growing up so fast in front of me. Tomorrow he will be handing out a red rose at his High School to his first crush. He wrote a beautiful Valentines Day Poem to her. I am so impressed with his poetic style and his admiration towards this girl. Will love blossom or not? Stay tuned LOL!
Now I want to continue the Loving-Kindness Meditation with you.
The next step in the book is about walking and exercising in more ways than one.
Peaceful walking is a wonderful exercise, especially if you are feeling agitated or restless. It gives the body something to do while the mind calms down. It's also a way to point your mind toward loving-kindness for yourself. When you're practicing formal walking meditation you're not trying to get anywhere. A walking path of ten to fifteen feet will do. Walk anywhere you like, in your home, outside on a deck or in the grass.
1. Stand Still, feel your feet on the floor or the ground.
2. Start walking very slowly. Keep your graze focused in front of you.
3. Focus on the sensations in each foot as it touches the ground. There's nowhere to go, no other place you have to be.
4.When you arrive at the end of your path, stop. Slowly turn around and walk back to where you started.
5.After you have done the walking for a few minutes, begin to send these loving-kindness phrases to yourself.
May I be peaceful,
May I be free from worry,
May I be well,
May I be patient.
6. Allow yourself to find your own rhythm, and let the pace change with your needs, When you're ready, end the walk by sending yourself the loving-kindness phrases a final time. Then go about your day. I hope you get some peace from this practice.
Take Care,
Janet :)

2 comments:

  1. I've never practiced walking meditation before, but I keep meaning to. I'll have to try this one. I especially like the mantra of 'May I be peaceful...' Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sweetie. One of the biggest aspects I neglect when I am not feeling well is peaceful walking and meditation. I have not been able to find my rhythm. I was hoping to have just "done" it by now! Thank you for the reminder, and the support you have given me in this time of my life. When I get like this, it is easy for me to isolate myself, and push away good caring people. Thank you so much for your understanding. Your friendship means the world to me.

    ReplyDelete