2011-04-02

Old Man

Hi Everyone, How are ya, I am doing good! Every now and again don't we all get stuck in our own stuff, so to speak, you know, feeling sorry for ourselves, because life does not work the way we want it to for us! Personally I have a lot this past year, with no job, no license, just feeling so trapped and useless, hopeless. And part of my poor me attitude is that every week since last December, I have had to go to a court ordered group in Plymouth Ma. It's been so great (not), getting off the bus and then walking in the friggin cold, with the wind whipping off the waterfront!! it just sucks!! If you read my "Spanky Time" Post back in December, you know what I'm talking about. But then something happened this week, that I needed to happen, to make me even more aware of my self absorbed, oh poor me thinking. As I walked to get the bus home, this older man that I have seen a few times before near the bus stop, but have never interacted with, and is obviously homeless, with his heavy coat and three hat's underneath his hood, along with his torn gloves and cheeks that are dark red, looked up at me and was gracious enough to say, "Hi, Good Afternoon" with a smile on his face! "Wow" is all I could feel and think at that moment. Could I be so gracious if I was in his shoes? Could I even smile, doubt it. I can't imagine what he has endured, freezing nights on the streets, the poor man, my heart just broke for him. He helped bring me back to a place of gratitude, I don't think I have ever been so happy before to hop on a bus, cause I have a home to go to, so what if I can't drive for a little while! So what if I don't have a job right now, things will eventually change, I just have to remember that this is a bump in the road, and it won't last forever! I will drive again, I will find a job. My life will come back together. So I thought I would share "Life is A Gift" with all of you to help you get out of your stuff if you need to, and remember all that is good, especially if you don't have an older homeless man to do it for you, like I did :)
Thanks for visiting my blog,
Love ya,
Janet :)



Life is A Gift

Today before you think of saying an unkind word – Think of someone who can’t speak.

Before you complain about the taste of your food – Think of someone who has nothing to eat.

Before you complain about your husband or wife – Think of someone who’s crying out for a companion.

Today before you complain about life – Think of someone who went too early to heaven/hell.

Before you complain about your children – Think of someone who desires children but they’re barren.

Before you argue about your dirty house, someone didn’t clean or sweep – Think of the people who are living in the streets.

Before whining about the distance you drive – Think of someone who walks the same distance with their feet.

And when you are tired and complain about your job – Think of the unemployed, the disabled and those who wished they had your job.

But before you think of pointing the finger or condemning another – Remember that not one of us are without sin and we all answer to one maker.

And when depressing thoughts seem to get you down – Put a smile on your face and thank — you’re alive and still around

Life is a gift – Live it, Enjoy it, Celebrate it, And Fulfill it.

3 comments:

  1. What an inspiring man! And that's a great song. Thanks for cheering up my day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right in saying that we get wrapped up in our own little worlds and forget that there are others less fortunate. Thanks for reminding us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh thank you so much Robin and Raven, your comments have made my day :)

    ReplyDelete